News Ticker powered by Fox News

Showing posts with label Terrorism. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Terrorism. Show all posts

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Coakley Claims There's No More We Can Do in Afghanistan, Our Job There is Done or Something

The special election to replace the recently departed Sen. Ted Kennedy is set to take place in Massachusetts a week from today, January 19th. It has been a brief but intense battle in between Democrat Martha Coakley and Republican Scott Brown. Polls have it anywhere in between a Coakley blowout to a Brown 1-point victory. However, it's going to be very tough to turn the very liberal state purple. If the Republicans pull it off it'll break the Democrat's filibuster-proof majority, after holding it for only one year.

They had their final debate yesterday. Coakley, of course, played the "Bush Sucks" card that all Democrats have been using to garner support for the past three years.

Brown went after Coakley for being soft on terrorists, which is a normal talking point to hit Democrats with during campaigns. However, Coakley said something about the War on Terror that seemed to justify all of Brown's accusations:

Coakley, the state attorney general, said she disagreed with Obama's decision and believes there are better ways to fight terrorist organizations than sending troops into every country where they have a presence. She also said it's time to bring home the troops still in Afghanistan.

"This is not about sending troops everywhere where we think al-Qaida is," she said. "I think we have done what we can in Afghanistan."


She is, basically, wanting to waive the white flag in Afghanistan. This would be a disaster as the Taliban and Al-Quaeda would no doubt return more emboldened then ever. They would claim a victorty over their "Great Satan", the United States. There would be no stopping them as they would feel like they could get away with pulling off further attacks as America would eventually cave.

In contrast, Brown supported the troop surge in Afghanistan and spoke out against letting captured terrorists "lawyer up".

Healthcare reform bill was, also, debated as, predictably, Brown opposed and Coakley unequivocally supports the bill, but it was the Afghanistan issue that really brought out how liberal Martha Coakley really is.

PS: Here's a video that I thought was really telling of this point:

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gitmo Alum Graduates to Become Leader Against US in Afghanistan

A Gitmo alum has graduated to become a leader in the fight against the US in Afghanistan:

A former Guantanamo Bay inmate is leading the fight against U.S. Marines in the Helmand province of Afghanistan, a senior U.S. defense official confirmed to FOX News on Tuesday.


Another Gitmo releasee is found fighting our troops. This is getting old.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

What Could Go Wrong? Bermuda: Recently Released Gitmo Prisoners Roam Without Security

This is smart:

Four of the Chinese Muslims, or Uighurs, released to Bermuda from the Guantanamo Bay prison appear to be getting used to life in paradise.

FOX News spotted the newly freed detainees at a guest cottage complex on the island without security or electronic monitoring, but their attorney said they will have to periodically check in with local police.


What could they be thinking? Why would you EVER let known terrorists roam around without any supervision?

Friday, May 15, 2009

Napolitano Caves: Right-Wing Extremism Report Pulled, Blames Anonymous Person Releasing It Too Soon

The report released last month on extremism from the right has landed Secretary Janet Napolitano in hot water with everyone. She has apologized to every veteran that she has met lately. Apparently, she has had enough criticism over her ill-thought out report. Maybe I'm not an extremist after all:

A contentious "Rightwing Extremism" report that warned of military veterans as possible recruits for terrorist attacks against the U.S. was not authorized, has been withdrawn and is being rewritten, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Capitol Hill lawmakers.

"The wheels came off the wagon because the vetting process was not followed," Ms. Napolitano told the House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday. "The report is no longer out there," she said.

"An employee sent it out without authorization."


The last line had me ROFL. There wasn't any anonymous rogue employee at the Dept of Homeland security like Janet Napolitano says there is. She knew full well what was being sent out and authorized it. If she doesn't know what is being broadcasted on all channels out of the department that she runs, she is incompetent.

She goes on:

"It was not authorized to be distributed. It had not even completed its vetting process within the department.


There was a vetting process done on the report the media started torching it before it was officially released and lawyers warned that it shouldn't be distributed by DHS. Did Napolitano listen to anyone of these "vettors"?

No, I'm afraid that she didn't.

Even some Democrats were taken aback by the report:

Rep. Christopher Carney, Pennsylvania Democrat, said that as a veteran he "took offense personally," and his constituents were offended by the report as well.

"It really hit home hard to me and in our district," Mr. Carney said. "It's not a good start when I go to town hall meetings and I hear people calling for your resignation."

Ms. Napolitano said the report titled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," is not the only report she has seen that says veterans are targets for recruitment by racist and other hate groups.

"It was an assessment, not an accusation," Ms. Napolitano said.

"It didn't say that," Mr. Carney interrupted.


She tries to put the blame on an anonymous person in her department releasing the report before it was supposed to and that "appropriate personnel action is being taken" to resolve the issue. Unless that "appropriate personnel action" includes a her resignation letter, it won't resolve the issue.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Syria Restarts Sending Suicide Bombers Into Iraq

The Syrian suicide bomber pipeline into Iraq had all but dried up under the Bush administration. A few months after Obama is president, they're back:

Last October, as the Bush administration was touting a dramatic drop in the number of suicide bombings in Iraq, four young Tunisian men left their homes for Libya and then headed to Syria. There, they were met at the Damascus airport and taken to a safe house.

Six tedious months passed until their handlers felt that it was safe to move the men again. In April, they were smuggled across the Iraqi border; within days, two were dead, among the suicide bombers who have killed at least 370 Iraqis in a wave of attacks over the past several weeks.


Almost immediately after Obama says he wants to open diplomatic avenues, Syria answers with a wave of new suicide bombers into Iraq:

The revival of a transit route that officials had declared all but closed comes as the Obama administration is exploring a new diplomatic dialogue with Syria. At the same time, Washington remains concerned by Syrian activities -- including ongoing support for the militant groups Hezbollah and Hamas, as well as activities involving Iraq.

On Wednesday, acting Assistant Secretary of State Jeffrey D. Feltman and National Security Council official Daniel Shapiro arrived in Syria for their second visit since Barack Obama's inauguration as president. Two days later, however, Obama renewed U.S. sanctions against Syria, accusing Damascus of supporting terrorism in the Middle East and undermining Iraqi stability.


So much for using diplomacy to talk down despots.

The violence is Iraq is still low. However, if Obama isn't careful, this new wave of violence could get worse and spark new conflicts.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Is South Park located in Arizona? McCain Echoes Napolitano's Canadian Fiction

Did Arizona Not Receive 9/11 Commission Report? Did it get lost in the mail?

Has McCain not been paying any attention to the news lately? Did he not learn anything from Napolitano's mistake?

Arizona Sen. John McCain made the dubious claim Friday that Sept. 11 hijackers entered the United States through Canada -- just days after Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, the former governor of Arizona, said the same thing.


I guess not.

But when asked about the gaffe on FOX News Friday, McCain said: "Well, some of the 9/11 hijackers did come through Canada, as you know."


Just like with Janet Napolitano, Canada wasn't amused:

(McCain's claim) drew an instant retort from the Canadian embassy, which re-issued Canadian Ambassador Michael Wilson's public comments from Tuesday, in which he said: 

"Unfortunately, misconceptions arise on something as fundamental as where the 9/11 terrorists came from. As the 9/11 Commission reported in July 2004, all of the 9/11 terrorists arrived in the U.S. from outside North America. They flew to major U.S. airports. They entered the U.S. with documents issued to them by the U.S. government. No 9/11 terrorists came from Canada."


Way to go, John!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hezbollah Terrorists Crossing US-Mexico Border Along With Mexican Drug Cartels, Threatens National Security

http://


My Thoughts

Apparently, it not just the Mexican drug gangs that have been invading the country from the south.

Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the left wonder why we want a border fence and want use the National Guard to protect the border. They think it's because we are racist, but it's to protect citizens from the drug gangs and terrorists that cross over with the decent migrants. We need to be able to separate the good immigrants from the bad. We need to be able to expel those who wish to harm our citizens. She thinks it's "un-American" to kick illegals out, but I think it is un-American not to protect our sovereignty and people's lives.

Clinton said that we need more gun bans to lessen the violence caused by the gangs at the border, but with all of those guns that Sara said they are bringing over, homeowners like George Barnett need guns to defend themselves from the army crossing into our country everyday.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Obama Administration Gives "Terrorism" New, PC Name

Obama-Speak: Homeland Security Secretary Replaces 'Terrorism' With the Term 'Man-Caused Disaster'

March 19, 2009 - 16:19 ET

Even as President Obama compares bankers to suicide bombers, his Homeland Security Secretary is suggesting the T-word, terrorism, is too inflammatory and representative of old-fashioned "politics of fear." She's announced a new term: "man-caused disaster." From an interview with the German magazine Der Spiegel:

SPIEGEL: Madame Secretary, in your first testimony to the US Congress as Homeland Security Secretary you never mentioned the word "terrorism." Does Islamist terrorism suddenly no longer pose a threat to your country?

NAPOLITANO: Of course it does. I presume there is always a threat from terrorism. In my speech, although I did not use the word "terrorism," I referred to "man-caused" disasters. That is perhaps only a nuance, but it demonstrates that we want to move away from the politics of fear toward a policy of being prepared for all risks that can occur.

But what if the suicide bomber is a female? Isn't it sexist to use "man-caused disaster"?


-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2009/03/19/obama-speak-homeland-security-secretary-replaces-terrorism-term-man-caus
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts

This has to be the most ridiculous story of the year, so far.

"Man-caused disaster" instead of terrorism will really strike fear in the terrorists hearts. Bin Laden is probably LMAO in a Pakastani cave somewhere.

This is PC oversensitivity gone amok. Let's just call a spade a spade.

Funny quip about the sexist aspect of the new name.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another Iraqi Election, Another Day Without Terrorism

Polls Close in Iraq Elections, No Major Violence Saturday, January 31, 2009

BAGHDAD —  Iraq's provincial elections have wrapped up without any reports of serious violence.

Polls closed at 6 p.m. (10 a.m. EST) on Saturday — an hour later than planned — after millions of voters cast ballots for influential regional councils around most of Iraq. There were no reports of major violence.

Iraqi authorities imposed a huge security operation around the country that included traffic bans in major cities and extensive checkpoints and surveillance posts. The U.S. military also was out in force but did not take a direct role in the election security.

Results from the elections are not expected before Tuesday.

Iraqis passed through security checkpoints and razor-wire cordons to vote Saturday in provincial elections that are considered a crucial test of the nation's stability as U.S. officials weigh the pace of troop withdrawals.

Polls opened shortly after dawn after a step-by-step security clampdown across the country, including traffic bans in central Baghdad and other major cities and closure of border crossings and airports.

Though there was no major violence during voting, there were some disruptions at the polls.

A Kurdish official said hundreds of Iraqi Kurds stormed an election office in a disputed city after claiming many Kurds were not on voting lists for provincial elections. There were no reports of serious injuries.

The protest in Khanaqin on Saturday is part of lingering disputes over control of the city about 80 miles northeast of Baghdad. In August, Kurdish and Iraqi forces were locked in a tense standoff before the Kurds backed off.

Salahuddin Kekhaa, a Kurdish official in Khanaqin, says Kurds held a rally to claim that thousands of Kurds were left off voting list. Then they tried to break into the local election office but were turned back, he said.

Ghufran al-Saidi, a Shiite lawmaker in the Sadr City district, said a military officer opened fire in Baghdad after voters chanted slogans at a polling station. He said two people were injured, one of them seriously.


-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,486164,00.html
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts

Thank God there was no violence today. There has been a lot of progress been made over the last couple years after the surge. Let's hope that Obama doesn't change the direction of the change made in Iraq. Love him or hate him, Bush did a lot of good in Iraq.