“Given the pressure Republican candidates feel from the extreme right in their party, there is a critical – yet time-sensitive –opportunity for Democratic candidates,” a DSCC memo, obtained by CNN, states. “We have a finite window when Republicans candidates will feel susceptible to the extremists in their party. Given the urgent nature of this dynamic, we suggest an aggressive effort to get your opponents on the record.”
Specifically, the DSCC wants Democratic candidates to pin down their likely opponents on several hot-button issues, including:
- Do you believe that Barack Obama is a U.S.citizen?
- Do you think the Tenth Amendment bars Congress from issuing regulations like minimum healthcare coverage standards?
- Do you think programs like Social Security and Medicare represent socialism, and should never have been created in the first place?
- Do you think President Obama is a socialist?
- Do you think America should return to a gold standard?
Basically, they want to pin every conservative as a whackjob or, as Bob Beckel so eloquently put it, “birthers, ‘baggers, and blowhards”. Is this a good strategy to use? Not really, but it may be the best that they can do, after burning almost every bridge they had built with independents:
They’ve got nothing left to offer independents, as Brown’s win proved only too well, and they’re too fatally compromised by ObamaCare to recast themselves as small-government types now. If they want to win the center, their best bet — which doesn’t mean it’s a good bet — is to screech about “birthers, ‘baggers, and blowhards,”
This is really just a desperate attempt by the Democrats to distract from their own real incompetence and the issues, in order to make themselves look better to the electorate. However, I believe that most people will see through their talk and see it as the desperate charade that it really is.